We regularly hold classes at the makerspace. The topics vary depending on instructor availability and membership desires. Depending on the nature of the class, resources needed, and facilities used, classes may or may not have a fee.
Community classes are classes held by members of the community. Like the general classes, the topics will vary depending on the instructor and membership desires.
A lot of the tools found in the makerspace can be dangerous and can cause bodily damage. To use many of the equipment found in the makerspace, tests are required so members remain safe. Check with member services to see what tests are needed for the areas you want to utilize.
Teach a Class
We are always looking for teachers to help out. If you are interested in teaching a class, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know what you’re interested in teaching, and we can help you with developing your class and letting our community know about it!
Class Policies and Cancelations
Students may register for any available class listed on our Class Page, so long as they meet any and all prerequisites listed and are 18+ years old (or have parental consent). Private classes may be requested and are subject to the instructor. Private classes must be scheduled through MechaSpark and may be requested by emailing email@example.com.
All classes have enrollment limits as listed in class descriptions. MechaSpark reserves the right to cancel classes in the event the minimum number of students for the class is not reached. MechaSpark may also cancel classes in the event of an emergency such as illness, weather, or other unforeseen circumstances. Any canceled class may be rescheduled, should the instructor and space be available.
Students may withdraw from a class up to 72 hours prior to the start of the class and will be given a full refund. Should you request a withdrawal from a class between 24 and 72 hours before the start of the class, you will receive a 50% refund, less a $10 processing fee. No refunds are offered for withdrawals for less than 24 hours notice or for any class already in progress. To request a refund for a class, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no refunds, transfers, make-ups, or deferments for missed classes. Instructors may offer a private session at their shop rate for a make-up class at their discretion. You may contact email@example.com to request a make-up class, and we will help arrange that with an appropriate instructor, if available.
Students may transfer their class fee to a future date, or apply a credit from a class fee to a different class offering (of greater or equal value) up to 72 hours prior to the start of a class. Credits applied to an offering of greater value will require students to pay the remaining balance prior to the start of the next class.
MechaSpark reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes due to weather, low enrollment, or other considerations. Communication for canceled and rescheduled classes is sent via email from MechaSpark. If another class is available at a later date, or if the class has been rescheduled, your class fee will automatically apply to the next available class session unless you specifically request a refund. No refunds are given for changes to location or instructor.
Weather and Emergency Closures: Unless the City of Bellevue has declared a snow emergency (see the Bellevue City Government Emergencies and Extreme Weather page), we do not close to students or the public. Closures will be posted to the front page of our website and you should receive an email about class cancelations and/or rescheduling.
When a class meets the maximum number of students available, you will see a button listed as “Call” rather than “Sign Up”. You may contact the front desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the course waitlist. Waitlisted students granted access to the class must complete registration and pay for classes prior to attending the class.
While MechaSpark is family-friendly, any youth under the age of 18 must be under the direct supervision of an adult, whether as a guest of a member, a student, or an attendee of an event. Youth programming may be arranged with the Education Department as a formal, collaborative opportunity and be held in our space. In this event, groups may need to carry their own liability insurance. Events that are specifically for attendees under 18 will be advertised as such on our Classes page.
We may occasionally take pictures of students in our classes for use in promotional materials. Your enrollment in a class indicates your approval for this.
Materials Fee Policy
All materials are listed in the course description. Please be sure to bring cash or a check with the amount listed to the instructor. Your instructor may also accept electronic payment and will indicate this in an email prior to the class.
How to Prepare for an Upcoming Class
What to Wear:
- Closed-toe shoes, shop-appropriate clothing (natural materials and long pants for welding, no loose or dangly clothes or accessories, long hair tied back if necessary)
- Basic protective gear is provided (safety glasses and gloves, ear protection), but we encourage you to invest in your own if you’re going to be doing regular shop work. If you have allergies or are sensitive to dust, we encourage you to bring your own work mask.
What to Bring:
- Any required project or practice materials, or any materials fees payable to the instructor, something to take notes on/with, and a laptop if necessary. Check your class description for more details.
- If you choose to bring water, please make sure it is in a sealed container, and you may need to place it some distance away from machines. Please check with your instructor.
When to Arrive:
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your first class to allow for check-in procedures and any unexpected parking challenges
How to Get Here & Where to Park:
When you Get Here:
- No need to bring a printed ticket! Just give your name to the volunteer at the front desk and tell them what class you’re here for.
- You will sign in at the kiosk and get a student badge at the start of each class. Please show this student badge to the front desk if you ever need to leave and re-enter the building.
- We ask all students to register in our system before their first class in our space. You can register right here online.
- Your class location is listed on the electronic calendar by the front door. If you need help finding the shop or area for your class, you can chceck the map up front or ask the front desk volunteer.